Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Forgotten Memories

I find myself forgetting.

The drives on Sunday afternoon in a maroon convertible, top down, talking of little girl dreams and big girl crushes...

The study sessions at McAlister's around a wrought-iron table in the humid eastern North Carolina heat...sipping on sweet tea and free refills, maybe eating a cookie if we had enough change...

The lunch group, all joined together through weavings of friendships, meeting on that certain day of the week, eating cafeteria food, feeling like Kings and Queens...

Long nights at Krispy Kreme, with the neon "hot" sign illuminating anatomy books and statistics equations...

Hair dyed green, Anne of Green Gables style, on the 5th floor of Greene Hall, as dreams of rich chocolate brown melt away...

Midnight talks between 20-year-old hearts...does he like me? did he see me? do I matter?....

Weekends filled with spaghetti and shredded cheese at adopted homes away from home, loving on moms away from mom...

Weeping stairwells, echoing sorrow over a life lost, with a steadfast friend silently sitting on concrete, holding up the soul which feels like it's tumbling...

Beach chairs lining a grassy slope, sipping cider and watching the annual parade of costumes downtown at Halloween, realizing you and the company you keep have old souls...

Huddled under sleeping bags on icy stadium seats, waiting as the clock runs out, believing in a Pirate miracle...

Turning a tassel, picture posing, dream catching...

These are the memories.

I don't think of them everyday, or even every month.

They surface when I least expect it...when I most need it.



These are my college days. These are the moments I found myself.


And when I find myself forgetting again, you will know where to find me...

Sipping sweet tea outside and maybe eating a cookie if I can scrape up enough change.

No comments: