Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Day 13 of Seasoning: Piglet and Pooh




“Piglet sidled up to Pooh from behind. "Pooh?" he whispered.
"Yes, Piglet?"
"Nothing," said Piglet, taking Pooh's hand. "I just wanted to be sure of you.”
― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh



Did you grow up watching Winnie the Pooh? I sure did, but I didn't realize these characters were so witty or full of knowledge as a little girl. The gift of friendship was woven through the stories, and the importance of just being instead of doing was emphasized.

How often do we get so caught up in our rigid schedules of doing, that we forget how to just breathe? How many days have passed since you talked with your childhood partner-in-crime? How many years?

I am guilty of losing contact with dear friends...I tend to wait for someone to pursue me than to put my self aside and pursue them. And yes, there are those friends that you may not talk to for ages, then reunite and pick right back up like you just had a slumber party the night before. Those friendships should be treasured and kept sacred; they are your sidekicks who will jump in at a moment's notice...

The past few months I have been a very needy friend. I'm surprised that my girls still call, write, visit, and love on me. I can be so unlovable, especially during this season of my life.

I've broken down at a concert and felt a little hand slip around my shoulder and hold on for dear life. I've had a birthday complete with paper party hats, designer cake, and young women who left their families for a weekend to be mine. I've had girls who have stopped everything they are doing to drop to their knees and cry out to the Father on my behalf. I've been Piglet, blindly groping through these weeks, grasping for my friends' hands. They find me and hold on tight.

I only hope that I am a Pooh to someone. Some seasons you may be a Tigger, bouncing around like a bumbling idiot, happy as can be. Your neighbor may be Eeyore, waiting for a sinkhole to form in your frontyard and bury the carefully carved fall pumpkins. You may be the wise owl, offering sage advice and resting in the comfort of your hard-earned knowledge.

Whatever or wherever you are, accept those gifts of friendship. In turn, be the friend you long to have. Although I'm a Piglet now, one of those girls will someday need my Pooh-self to don a cheery red shirt and gather some honey.

And I will do it, because I know how priceless it is to be loved by a friend.

Call your friend today. Tell them you love them.

After all, “You can't stay in your corner of the Forest waiting for others to come to you. You have to go to them sometimes.”
― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh



For more tear-jearking qoutes, go here

1 comment:

shasha said...

So true! I will stop procrastinating and call some of these so dear to me.
Love you, Mom