Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Day 12 of Seasoning: Tears

Record my lament; list my tears on your scroll--are they not in your record? Psalms 56:8


When was the last time you cried? If you can't remember, maybe it's time for a really good cryin' session. If you can remember, maybe you need to read my previous post about laughter. Either way, tears are needed, and they are healing.

When I was 14, I had the opportunity to travel to Israel. I still think back to this as a precious adventure where time stood still. To walk the same streets that Jesus walked...to sail across the Sea of Galilee...to stand in the middle of the desert, whisper-still yet so loud with meaning...this was where I truly recognized I was a daughter of the King, and I mattered.

While on this trip, I remember the tour guide talking about tear bottles. Apparently, in ancient times, bottles were used to collect mourner's tears, because they were precious. After reviewing different translations of this verse, I saw it also mentioned as collecting tears in a wineskin, which holds precious liquids. The NIV translation is above, referencing our tears recorded on a scroll.

Because I'm not a Bible scholar, I will leave it at this: I have no idea what the original translation was or should be, but I do know that our tears are precious to our Father. Whether he gathers or records, it doesn't matter. What matters is he sees each salty path of sorrow or even joy. You aren't alone. You are so very treasured that even your tears have a home.

So, go watch Terms of Endearment, Steel Magnolias, or Beaches...

And if you're a guy, watch A River Runs Through It, or maybe a rerun of your favorite football team losing.

No comments: