Monday, July 6, 2009

The Scale

So last Wednesday, my first day of VACATION, I had my glucose test at 9:30. Of course, they always weigh you first, which is like being a contestant on The Biggest Loser...But, it's more like The Biggest Gainer!! A little nurse the size of Thumbelina and probably four times my age weighed me. As we walked to the exam room, I couldn't help but notice her head came about to the level of my ribcage...no lie. She STOPS in the middle of the hallway, looks me up and down for a good 5 seconds, consults her chart, and then looks at me again. She then says, "Hmm..I was just seeing if I had read the scale right!". What in the world do you say to that? "Oh yes, Thumbelina, you read it right...I have gained another 10 lbs, and that is cause for making a scene in the hallway", or "Thumbelina, you and I both know the number on the scale does not correspond to the beauty of my pregnant form! It MUST be some mistake! We have GOT to recalibrate that before everyone else is not weighed correctly!" Well, I have no idea what she was thinking, but my imagination took over as I wondered what point she was trying to make. So, when the midwife walks in and makes no comment about my weight, I go on a rant about how I've changed my eating habits, blah blah blah...She looks at me and says "It's going to be ok, Anna. You're doing well. Just keep being careful, and hopefully you will be able to lose the weight afterwards". Hopefully is the key word here :) Oh well...Now that I will be seen every 2 weeks instead of 4-6 weeks, maybe the weight gain won't be as drastic.

Despite all of my complaining, I have really had a peaceful pregnancy without too many horrible symptoms. Each day I become more excited about the person that will make an appearance...he will be the focus of attention, not this growing belly and raging mood swings! :)

No comments: