Thursday, November 18, 2010

Thankful Me: Day 4




Nest:
~a pocketlike, usually more or less circular structure of twigs, grass, mud, etc., formed by a bird, often high in a tree, as a place in which to lay and incubate its eggs and rear its young; any protected place used by a bird for these purposes.
~a snug retreat or refuge; resting place; home.



I built a nest in September, with blueprints I had been given six years ago. Twigs of knowledge weaved together with leaves of grace, both of which can not be bought but only learned through another nest builder. In my nest are 10 young ones. They have peeked over the edge, flown to a nearby branch, but they always return. I've been slowly nudging them to fly farther. Fly longer. Fly higher. These are my nursing students, whose appetites are growing and wings are widening. They will not stay in my nest much longer, for they have outgrown this space.

I've perched in nests of many shapes and sizes. From preschool, I flew to kindergarten. My undergraduate nest was nestled below a canopy of branches filled with bigger nests, and I flew up. My husband's nest had reinforced sides where mine had gaps, and we made a nest together.

Each nest I build contains materials and techniques from other nests.

My parents.

Sister.

First nursing instructor.


Husband.

Son.



Where are your nests, and what nests did you leave behind?

I am thankful for my familiar and protected places.

My nests may be ragged and worn, but they are held together with love, and that is the blueprint I wish to pass on.










2 comments:

Hailey @ Me and My Boys said...

I'm loving these! You're so creative to come up with them. And the pictures are so cute!

Charbelle said...

I second what Hailey says!!